We know that renting a car can be very exciting, but you must know the basics before you do so. That’s right — there are a few things that you should be aware to avoid being overcharged. We’ve composed this post on what you should know when hiring a car for the first time. If traveling across Australia, you can car hire Surfers Paradise in the same way. Here are few tips that may help you through your endeavor for the first time.
- Find the right company. These days you can research online and get an information bank of names of car rental companies. You can look for a local phone number to contact and then find out more. This may take some time, but give time to investigation and do not rush.
- International permit. Yes, if you are driving a car in another country, you may need an international driving permit. If you didn’t know this, then it’s time to do some research. It’s quite a cheap option and is not that difficult to get hold of.
- Deposit. Prior to handing over the car keys to you, a company may want to make some deposits. This is done to cover for costs of damages of any kind that may occur during your rental. These deposits can be very high and are even higher for expensive cars.
- Credit card deposit. Even if you have debit cards, they may not be enough for a deposit. Most companies will hold a charge against your credit card, in spite of having a debit card. To be more precise, they may need your credit card details or one in the main driver’s name.
- Additional insurance. Calling on your insurance carrier could be a good idea to check if you are covered for rental cars. It is wise to add complete insurance for more protection, which means you must check what is covered under the insurance that you have.
- Running late. In case you are running late to pick up your car, you must let the company know. There is a high possibility that the rental service provider will not wait for you. This is why you should inform them if you are caught up with something else.
- Fuel. Most companies follow ‘Full to full’ policy which seems to be fair enough. So, you must fill in the gas and also keep the receipt handy because a few companies need the receipt to mark it as legit transaction.
So, you see there are a quite a number of things that you should look into before renting a car. Now start doing your research and enjoy the road trip of a lifetime!