Buying an OBD2 Scan Tool can be tricky. There are endless options in the market, and the price range is extremely large. For starters, OBD stands for On Board Diagnostics. OBD2 has been mandated for all vehicles in the US, and besides the standards, these scan tools are extremely effective for professionals, technicians and car owners, mainly for detecting issues with the vehicle. An OBD2 scanner is basically a diagnostic scanner, which warns the driver of any problem in the vehicle, right from engine issues to battery, airbags and emission problems.
As a new buyer, it’s completely okay to have a few confusions. In this post, we have 7 tips for finding the best automotive scanner tool.
- Start with the kind of scan tool you need. If you are just following the norms, a basic product should be enough. However, most of the standard scan tools don’t do much, especially when it comes to advanced diagnostics.
- Set a budget. It is best to understand the kind of money you can spend on the product. Ideally, check online to find the top rated products, and based on the features, you can take a call. It is also important to check the features, additional updates and other things before deciding the final price payable.
- A good scanner should be compatible across vehicles, including pre-OBD2 vehicles. It should have quality display features and should offer information and real-time data on the go. As required, the tool should be able to log and store data on the go.
- You need to check if the product comes with additional updates. These updates can be chargeable, but having the option of getting more features and additional elements is always a fun option.
- The best scanner will also have a compact design and a great interface. It should be easy to use for anyone, even for new car drivers. Typically, most of the advanced models do have an alternative power source, which is useful.
- You need to check things offered by the seller. This can include a few additional but payable accessories, cables, and adapters, which can be used to connect the tool with smartphone, tablets and laptops. Wireless functionality might be offered by a few known products.
- Of course, the warranty on the product is also something that one cannot ignore. This can differ with the brand, but is an important aspect, especially if you are getting an advanced scanner with multiple features.
Check for reviews
If you are unsure of how to choose an OBD scanner, the best idea is to read a few reviews. Besides the user reviews that you will find on many ecommerce portals, you can also find third party blogs and websites, where experts have reviewed some of the leading products in detail. Reviews can help in understanding the pros and cons in detail, and you can easily compare models based on all the crucial factors. For any confusions, always contact the seller directly.
Find the best prices for automotive tool scanners online now!